Between today and Saturday, my genealogy column, Roots to the Past, is available in the following Atlantic Canada newspapers:
Tuesday: The Kings County Record (Sussex)
Wednesday: The Lunenburg County Progress Bulletin
Thursday: The Western Star (Corner Brook)
Saturday: The Citizen (Amherst)
Saturday: Times & Transcript (Moncton)
Title: Government Cuts Threaten Canada’s History
Snippet: The federal government plans to make major cuts to Library & Archives Canada (LAC), significantly reducing and eliminating services available to the public, as well as, threatening future historical collections.
According the University of Toronto Academic Librarians blog (http://utlibrarians.wordpress.com) the reductions and cuts include but are not limited to:
1) Closure of the staff resource centre at LAC (formerly the departmental library)
2) Closure of inter-library loans unit
3) Reduction of circulation staff by 50%
4) Reduction of digitization staff by 50%
5) Severe reduction in conservation staff for all media
. . . To read more, pick up one of the above noted newspapers.